(Reuters) – George Zimmerman, the former neighbourhood watch volunteer who is accused of murder in
the death of unarmed teenager Trayvon Martin, has raised at least $200,000 (123,563.57 pounds) through a website set up to
fund his defence, his lawyer said on Thursday.
Donors contributed “just over $200,000,” said Mark O’Mara, Zimmerman’s
The site set up to solicit funds for Zimmerman’s defence, therealgeorgezimmerman.com, has since been
Zimmerman was released this week on $150,000 bail and has been moved to an undisclosed location. He had
surrendered to police earlier this month after prosecutors charged him with second-degree murder in the February shooting
death of Martin in a gated community in the central Florida town of Sanford.
Zimmerman has pleaded not guilty and says
he killed Martin in self defence.
The incident has prompted civil rights protests and a national debate over guns,
self-defence laws and race in America.
O’Mara told CNN that he would inform the judge in the case of the funds on
(Reporting By Chris Francescani; writing by Dan Burns; editing by Christopher Wilson)
Latest posts by Yoopya (see all)
- Biden expected to nominate Blinken as secretary of state - November 23, 2020
- Singer Bobby Brown’s son found dead at Los Angeles home - November 21, 2020
- Lil Baby, Roddy Ricch, Taylor Swift win Apple Music Awards - November 21, 2020